Two major considerations come into play regarding the choices students take to plan their future career path:
- personal development along with ongoing self-discovery and
- the current and future work environment
Key elements of the career development process are:
- Exploring and researching options
- Individual self assessment as foundation for career planning
- Deciding and setting goals
- Developing a plan and taking action
- Reflection and evaluation
This checklist can be a useful tool to develop a practical plan to implement.
Career exploration/job-search checklist:
- What are my values?
- What are my skills and abilities?
- What are my interests?
- What is my personality style?
- What other life roles are important along with my job?
- What are the family and cultural influences on my career path?
- What kinds of occupations and jobs am I suited for?
- How much do I know about these different fields (job description, amount of pay, working conditions, opportunity for advancement, whether there is a demand for this field, the types of tasks performed, etc.)?
- What are my options (possibilities: further study/training, work shadowing/ work experience/ volunteer work as a stepping stone towards long-term employment)?
- What are my short-term and long-term goals?
- How do I make decision about these options?
- Do I have an up-to-date rÃ©sumÃ© and cover letter?
- What do I need to know about going to a job interview?
- How well do I network with others who may be potential employers?